The world is our oyster, and the ocean is its pearl. We love going to beaches and diving into the warm waters of our planet. But there's a hidden cost: sunscreens containing harmful chemicals that damage coral reefs. This can be prevented if you use the best reef-safe sunscreen instead!
1.Reef-safe sunscreen is made with ingredients that are non-toxic to coral reefs
Reef-safe sunscreen is made with ingredients that are non-toxic to coral reefs. It's important to know that not all sunscreens are reef safe, so if you want your sunscreen to be good for the ocean and the people who love it, choose one of these:
• No oxybenzone (or octinoxate)
• No homosalate or octocrylene (also known as octyl methoxycinnamate)
• Avobenzone (a type of chemical filter) is okay if it's paired with other non-toxic filters like zinc oxide or titanium dioxide.
2. You can still be safe from the sun while preventing the destruction of our reefs
The first step in protecting yourself from the sun is using sunscreen. But did you know that many of the most popular brands contain harmful chemicals that can damage coral reefs?
It's true: The ingredients in many sunscreens are toxic for coral and other marine life because they absorb UV light and turn it into heat, which kills their cells--and when they die off, they release large amounts of carbon dioxide into their environment as they decay. This leads to what scientists call "coral bleaching"--and although some corals recover after bleaching events (like those caused by El Niño), others don't make it through at all.
3. Reef-safe sunscreens don't contain harmful chemicals that cause coral bleaching
• Reef-safe sunscreens don't contain harmful chemicals that cause coral bleaching.
• These sunscreens use zinc oxide and titanium dioxide as their active ingredients. Zinc oxide is a physical blocker, which means it creates a barrier between your skin and the sun. Titanium dioxide is also considered a physical blocker because it reflects UVA/UVB rays away from your body (like how baby powder can reflect light). Both of these ingredients have been proven to be effective in protecting against skin cancer and early aging caused by UV exposure.
4. We need to protect our oceans and marine life for future generations
The ocean is a beautiful place and we need to protect it for future generations. We also need to protect marine life as well as the coral reefs and the natural environment. The marine ecosystem is very important, so we need to take care of it by using reef-safe sunscreen when we go swimming in the water or snorkeling.
5. The best way to protect your skin is with natural ingredients
If you're a beach lover, it's important to know that the best way to protect your skin is with natural ingredients. Natural sunscreen ingredients are better for the environment and better for your skin. The reason why? They don't contain harmful chemicals like oxybenzone or octocrylene (two common insect repellents).
These chemicals have been found in both human blood and breast milk samples from around the world--they're absorbed into our bodies when we apply them to our skin! And this isn't just alarming because we now know these chemicals are entering our bodies; there's also evidence that they do damage to coral reefs as well!
There's no reason not to use reef-safe sunscreen
Reef-safe sunscreen is better for your skin. The ingredients in most sunscreens can be harmful to coral reefs and the creatures that live there, but the ingredients in reef-safe sunscreen are non-toxic and won't cause any damage. When you wear reef-safe sunscreen, you're protecting yourself from UV rays while also helping keep our oceans clean!
We hope that this article has helped you understand why it's important to use reef-safe sunscreen. We want our oceans to be protected so future generations can enjoy the beauty of nature, and we believe that one way to accomplish this is by making sure our products don't harm marine life, whether we are using mineral sunscreen or any other type of beauty or health product.