A face serum is a type of skin care product that is applied to the face to provide specific skin benefits. It is a lightweight liquid or gel-like substance that is designed to penetrate deeply into the skin and deliver active ingredients directly to the skin cells. Face serums typically contain a higher concentration of active ingredients compared to creams or lotions, and are used to target specific skin concerns such as fine lines and wrinkles, dark spots, dullness, and dehydrated skin.
Why Do We Use Serum?
Serums are used in skincare to deliver active ingredients to the skin in a concentrated form. Some common reasons for using serums include:
● To hydrate and nourish the skin- Serums often contain hydrating ingredients like hyaluronic acid or glycerin, which can help improve skin hydration levels and leave the skin feeling soft and smooth.
● To improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles- Serums containing active ingredients such as retinol or vitamin C can help boost collagen production and improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
● To brighten and even out skin tone- Serums containing ingredients like vitamin C, niacinamide, or kojic acid can help to brighten the skin and reduce the appearance of dark spots and other discoloration.
● To provide antioxidant protection- Serums can contain antioxidants like vitamin C and green tea extract, which help to protect the skin from damage caused by free radicals and environmental stressors.
Two main types of serum are:
1. Illuminating serum- It is a type of skin care product that is designed to improve the overall radiance and luminosity of the skin. Illuminate serums typically contain ingredients such as Vitamin C, Niacinamide, and other brightening agents that help to reduce the appearance of dark spots, hyperpigmentation, and other forms of discoloration. The serum is applied to the skin to help even out the skin tone, boost the skin's natural glow, and provide a brighter and more youthful-looking complexion.
2. Defense serum- It is a type of biological product, typically a vaccine or antibody preparation that is used to protect against a specific disease or infection. Defense serums work by introducing components of the disease-causing agent into the body, which stimulate the immune system to produce antibodies and build immunity to the disease.
Serums are used in skincare to deliver targeted and effective treatment for specific skin concerns and to improve the overall appearance and health of the skin.